Garlic mushrooms (champiñones al ajillo)
This is one on my favourite tapas and starter dishes. I´m not a huge fish lover so I prefer this over the prawns in garlic oil (gambas al ajillo). The secret to this is to leave the garlic soaking in the oil for a period of time, with or without a chilli pepper.
8-10 button mushrooms
4-5 garlic cloves
1 chilli pepper
Salt and pepper
4 tablespoons of good quality olive oil
Fresh chopped parsley
- Chop the garlic into thin slices
- In a ceramic dish (as shown on photo) or a small frying pan add the olive oil, the garlic and the chilli pepper if using
- Leave to “soak” for as long as possible
- Wash and chop the mushrooms (quarters or slices)
- Heat the oil and garlic mixture until bubbling, add the mushrooms and sautee for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add the chopped parsley
- Serve with warm crusty bread